A simple bake that tastes even better on day two! The coriander pesto sets the lentils alight, and it looks really well if you keep back a little to drizzle on top before serving. Serve with a simple green salad.
2 medium carrots
150g green beans
750g sweet potatoes
400g Puy lentils, or other green or brown lentils
2 bay leaves
Leaves from 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
approx. 100ml non-dairy milk
approx. 1 teaspoon salt
A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
For the pesto
A good bunch of fresh coriander (approx.50g)
3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1. Cut the carrots into bite-size pieces. Trim the green beans and cut them in half. Cut the unpeeled potatoes and sweet potatoes into evenly sized pieces.
2. Rinse the lentils and put them into a large family-size pan with the carrots, bay leaves, thyme, salt, black pepper, tamari and 1 litre of water. Turn the heat up high and put the lid on the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, leave the lid ajar so that the steam can evaporate, and simmer for a further 25 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and nearly all the liquid has gone.
3. Put the potatoes and sweet potatoes into a large pan with enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until tender. Drain, then put them back into the pan and mash with a potato masher or fork, slowly adding the milk and mashing as you go until you reach the desired consistency. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
5. Roughly chop the coriander (leaves and stalks) and put into a blender or food processor with the peeled whole cloves of garlic and the other pesto ingredients. Blend until reasonably smooth.
6. Once the lentils are soft and cooked through, stir in the coriander pesto and add the green beans.
7. Put the lentil mix into a baking dish and cover with the mash, spiking it up with your fork so that you get some crispy bits. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Mike Dorfman is BS in Biochemistry from the University of Colorado. Mike’s has worked as a personal trainer for Gold’s Gym and helped many clients achieve their weight-loss and fitness goals.
To health first, weight-loss second. Mike and Tetrogen are here to help you make the transition to the healthier, happier, and thinner you!
SIGN UP NOW FOR YOUR FREE WEEKLY EMAILS!
Get brand-new healthy recipes (easy ones), tips 'n tricks, and more...
Bonus: Get discount coupons for our products on a subscription!You will receive one tip per week. You can unsubscribe at any time. We will never share your information with third parties.