Prep Time: 80 Mins
5 medium sweet potatoes (1.8kg)
1 x 400g tin of black beans
1 x 100g tin of sweetcorn
1 fresh red chilli
2 cloves of garlic
A small bunch of fresh coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
Juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large ripe avocado
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Scrub the sweet potatoes, leaving the skin on, then cut the ends off and cut into halves lengthways. Once the oven is heated, put the sweet potatoes on a baking tray and roast for about 1 hour (they are ready when you insert a fork and the flesh comes out easily). Remove from the oven, leaving it on, and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
3. When cool, scoop out the sweet potato flesh and place in a large mixing bowl. Scoop carefully – try to leave a thin layer around the skin so that each half can hold its shape. Place the skins back on the tray, cut side up, then return to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes, allowing them to get nice and crispy.
4. While the skins are baking in the oven, mash the sweet potato flesh that you scooped out. Drain and rinse the black beans and sweetcorn. Deseed and finely chop the chilli, chop the scallions and add them both to the mixing bowl. Peel and finely chop the garlic, chop the coriander and add them to the bowl with the black beans and sweetcorn. Add the cumin, paprika, lime juice, salt and black pepper and mix
5. Once the skins are done, remove from the oven and fill each skin with sweet potato mixture. Pop back into the oven for a further 5 minutes, to heat and crisp the tops. Serve with slices of avocado on top. Lovely topped with vegan mayo and sprinkled with extra coriander, as in the picture.