We’ve all heard the saying, “You are what you eat,” but what about what you drink? If you drink a lot of your calories—in the form of sugar-loaded sodas, juices, and coffee drinks—you are likely consuming way more calories than you can burn. A straightforward way to cut calories and thus support your weight-loss efforts is to make simple weight loss drinks at home recipes.
Many of these drink options don’t just support weight loss due to the decrease in calories. Some can provide metabolism-boosting nutrients to help the body burn off fat.
Here are some ideas for what to drink in the morning and throughout the day to lose weight.
Weight-Loss Drinks at Home Recipes
1. Fruit-Infused Water
When it comes to weight-loss drinks at home recipes, nothing tops good old-fashioned water. It may be even more beneficial when it’s cold, though the science isn’t conclusive.
That said, to ensure you’re getting plenty of water to drink throughout each day, you can make it even more appealing and enjoyable by adding your favorite fruits.
Slice up some lemons, limes, or oranges. Add a handful of your favorite berries, sliced watermelon, or pineapple. Or try something a little more “exotic” like sliced kiwi and mint, basil and orange, lemon and cucumber, or ginger and lime. For a little extra “detox,” add cucumber, lemon, mint leaves, and a ginger slice or two; or try adding grapefruit and cucumber. Just use any other fruit, herbs, or combinations you enjoy or that are in season!
To make your weight-loss at home recipe, add your choice of fruit to a pitcher of water, set it in the fridge, and use that to fill up your water bottle throughout the day.
To ensure your fruit-infused water is even more flavorful:
- Use ripe fruit
- If adding herbs, bruise them first to release the flavor by either crushing them in your hand or using a mortar and pestle (you can also choose to mash up the fruits a bit to release more of their flavor)
- Give it time to infuse—overnight if possible
- If you want a stronger flavor, just add more fruits and herbs.
- You can add more water throughout the day as you drink it down. Just understand that the flavor will dilute with every refill.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) likely isn’t the miracle drink many have proclaimed, but it does appear to have health benefits. This includes helping kill harmful bacteria, lowering blood sugar levels, promoting weight loss, boosting skin health, and even supporting heart health. 1
Research has, in fact, verified that consuming ACV can help reduce body weight, body fat mass, and triglyceride levels in obese individuals when compared to a placebo by up to 8 pounds over a 12-week period. 2, 3
You don’t need to sip a lot either. Just add one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a half glass (or one full cup) of water, and drink it down before you eat. For a change of pace, you can also toss in a couple of tablespoons of berries, the juice from a lemon, or a tablespoon of honey (just remember that honey will increase the calorie load by 64).
To help protect your tooth enamel from potential damage (as ACV is very acidic), drink it down with a reusable straw, and don’t consume more than two tablespoons per day.
3. Turmeric Tea
Turmeric is best known as the component in curry that gives it that bright yellow-orange color and its distinct flavor. Yet this herb is also a powerful antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, it may help folks lose weight by supporting the digestive system, regulating blood sugar levels, and helping prevent insulin resistance. Curcumin, found within turmeric, has also been shown to help boost fat loss.
Depending on your taste preferences, you can make turmeric tea in a variety of ways. Start with a saucepan filled with water. Then add a dash of turmeric and bring the water to a boil. Turn off the heat, and let it cool to room temperature. If you choose, you can also add a dash of ginger, fresh mint leaves, or some cinnamon powder or a chunk of a cinnamon stick to the water before it comes to a boil. Again, you can also stir in a drop of honey if you prefer a sweeter tea.
What to Drink in the Morning to Lose Weight?
You can kick off your morning for weight loss too. Start with a big glass of water as soon as you roll out of bed to rehydrate. And then continue to energize your morning and your fat burning with any of the options below:
While many people think they should cut back on coffee, this beverage has a wide range of health benefits. You will, however, want to cut out the high-calorie gourmet coffee beverages (i.e., sugar bombs) and enjoy your coffee black or with calorie-free flavors (e.g., stevia drops).
Straight up coffee has been shown to boost weight and body fat loss as well as decreasing the risk of insulin resistance and thus type 2 diabetes. One study found that four cups of caffeinated coffee per day over six months led to a drop of nearly four percent in overall body fat. 4
If you are following a low-carb or keto lifestyle, enjoying a cup of coffee with MTC oil stirred in may help speed metabolism, increase energy levels, and raise HDL cholesterol levels. 5 You do, however, need to consider the extra calories you’re adding to your morning beverage.
5. Green Tea with Lemon and Mint
Green tea is beneficial throughout the day, but it can provide a soothing wake up, especially when combined with lemon and mint, to kickstart your day.
What’s more, green tea is loaded with antioxidants and has also been found to be very supportive for encouraging weight loss as well as overall health. One well-known benefit is that it can boost metabolism due to its catechin and caffeine content. 6
It may even help your skin look more glowing 7 —and who can’t use a bit more glow in the morning?
Simply brew per instructions with some crushed mint leaves. And add a slice of lemon to serve. Then enjoy at least two to three cups per day to take advantage of green tea’s positive effects on weight loss and health as well as its unique flavor.
6. Jerra Water
One weight-loss drink at home recipe you may not have heard of before is Jerra water. Jerra, aka cumin seeds, may support weight loss by improving your metabolic rate. According to some, this drink may also help reduce hunger and boost fat burning.
To make, just add one tablespoon of organic cumin seeds to a glass of water with some lime juice. Place it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, you can strain out the seeds (or keep a few to chew on), and drink it down.
One 2016 study found that cumin seeds with lime juice consumed over eight weeks had beneficial results on weight, body mass index, and triglycerides. 8
Weight-Loss Drinks at Home Recipes Conclusion
Replacing high-calorie, high-sugar drinks with any of the weight-loss drink recipes listed above can not only help you cut calories, but it could also kickstart your metabolism throughout the day. This can help your body better burn fat to help you shed excess weight.
These drinks may be even more beneficial when consumed before meals, as they can help fill up the tummy, so you’ll need to consume less food to feel full and satiated.
Of course, any successful weight-loss plan takes an integrated approach of decreasing calories, exercising regularly, getting plenty of quality sleep, and supporting your metabolic hormones.
1. Gunnars K, 2020. 6 Proven Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar. [online] Healthline. Available at:
6 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, Backed by Science [Accessed 25 January 2021].
2. Kondo T, Kishi M, Fushimi T, Ugajin S, Kaga T. Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry. 2009 Aug 23;73(8):1837-43.
3. Khezri SS, Saidpour A, Hosseinzadeh N, Amiri Z. Beneficial effects of Apple Cider Vinegar on weight management, Visceral Adiposity Index and lipid profile in overweight or obese subjects receiving restricted calorie diet: A randomized clinical trial. Journal of Functional Foods. 2018 Apr 1;43:95-102.
4.News. 2021. Four Cups of Coffee a Day Associated with Modest Loss of Body Fat. [online] [Accessed 26 January 2021].
5. St-Onge MP, Bosarge A. Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2008 Mar 1;87(3):621-6.
6. Mousavi A, Vafa M, Neyestani T, Khamseh M, Hoseini F. The effects of green tea consumption on metabolic and anthropometric indices in patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Research in Medical Sciences: The Official Journal of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. 2013 Dec;18(12):1080.
7. Katiyar SK, Ahmad N, Mukhtar H. Green tea and skin. Archives of Dermatology. 2000 Aug 1;136(8):989-94.
8. Taghizadeh M, Memarzadeh MR, Abedi F, Sharifi N, Karamali F, Kashan ZF, Asemi Z. The effect of Cumin cyminum L. plus lime administration on weight loss and metabolic status in overweight subjects: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal. 2016 Aug;18(8).
Mike Dorfman is BS in Biochemistry from the University of Colorado. Mike’s has worked as a personal trainer for Gold’s Gym and helped many clients achieve their weight-loss and fitness goals.
To health first, weight-loss second. Mike and Tetrogen are here to help you make the transition to the healthier, happier, and thinner you!