Prep Time: 15-20 Mins
4 nests of dried whole-wheat noodles (200g)
3 cloves of garlic
A thumb-size piece of fresh ginger
1 fresh red chilli
A bunch of scallions
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
150g shiitake mushrooms
1 head of pak choi/100g Baby spinach
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
For the dressing
1 x 400ml tin of coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
3 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup
A small bunch of fresh coriander or basil
3 tablespoons sesame seeds pickled ginger
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Put the noodles into a pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt and cook as per the instructions on the packet. Remove from the heat, drain, then rinse with cold water in a colander over the sink and set aside while you prepare your veg.
2. Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger. Deseed and finely slice the chilli (leave the seeds in if you like it hot), and finely chop the scallions. Deseed and finely chop the peppers, and grate the carrot. Finely chop the mushrooms. Remove the nub at the end of the pak choi and finely chop the rest.
3. Put the oil into a non-stick large-bottomed pan (ideally a wok) on a high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli, and cook for 1 minute, stirring regularly. Add the scallions, peppers, grated carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further 1 1/2 minutes, stirring all the time.
4. In a cup, use a fork to mix together the dressing ingredients (don’t worry if the coconut milk stays a bit lumpy – the mixture will break up once it’s added to the pan). Add the dressing to the pan and stir right through so that it coats all the veg really well.
5. Next, throw in your noodles and heat for a minute. Add the pak choi or spinach and cook for another minute, until wilting.
6. Remove from the heat. Roughly chop the fresh coriander or basil and use to garnish each serving, together with sprinkles of sesame seeds. It’s also nice with some kimchi, pickled ginger and wedges of lime.
Mike Dorfman is BS in Biochemistry from the University of Colorado. Mike’s has worked as a personal trainer for Gold’s Gym and helped many clients achieve their weight-loss and fitness goals.
To health first, weight-loss second. Mike and Tetrogen are here to help you make the transition to the healthier, happier, and thinner you!